This is a fantastic, nutrient rich recipe to make on a Sunday morning and will last throughout the week. Or you can freeze a portion to easily reheat later.
3/4 cup chili beans (dried)
3/4 cup black beans (dried)
3/4 cup black eyed peas (dried)
1 28 ounce can chopped tomatoes
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 cup carrots (chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup zucchini (chopped)
1. Soak the beans in water overnight (8 hours). Drain and rinse.
2. Brown the ground turkey. (I like to use a non-stick pan to avoid added fat. It doesn’t make a difference in taste.)
3. Combine all of the ingredients in a slow cooker, EXCEPT for the zucchini. Cook on LOW for 7 hours.
4. Add the zucchini and cook for one hour.
5. Serve with shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Yum!